How's the balls of your feet?


The pool was awesome but one cannot remain in a pool all day. My problem was that I had foolishly left my flip flops in the room which was about 30 yards away but 20 of those yards were cement...damn hot cement. I was sure that frying an egg would be no problem but I was more worried about getting back to my room without frying my feet.

Now, I know you're thinking, come on candy ass...get out of the pool go to your room. How tough is it to run across 20 yards of hot cement? Can't do that?...have someone go get your flip flops...ya big boob.

When I left my room the temperature in Palm Springs was 115 in the shade. I was half way though the hell hole of hot cement before I realized I was frying my feet. Stupid me chose to go on to the pool to cool the feet off. I never thought about getting back. Now it was 3 o'clock and probably 120 in the shade and I was the only one left at the pool.  The only idiot I should say.

I felt like a damn fisherman's bob...dunking my head under the water every other minute, trying to keep cool. I was sure the pool water was going to get hot enough to cook something. I hoped it wasn't me. Also, if you've ever spent some time around the sun and water you know it's a damned good place to get sunburned.

I decided I had three options.

One was to just do like I said you are thinking. Run like hell and hope I could still walk after I got across the cement.

Two was to scream like a baby, hoping someone would come to rescue me. But, that would be screaming  to the world how stupid I was.

Three was to take my trunks off and use them as a buffer to shuffle my naked ass across the cement.

I chose exactly what you said I should have done two hours earlier. I bit the bullet and dashed across the cement as fast as I could. I knew it would be worse if I hopped up and down trying not to touch the cement any more than I had to. I ran on the heels of my feet thinking that the dead skin would absorb the heat a little.

Wrong...the center of my heels was as soft and vulnerable as the balls of me feet. After a few steps I ended up trying to run on my the front of the feet.

The result?..I ended up with with 1st and 2nd degree burns on my toes and the balls of my feet.

I walked on my heels for about two days.

Now, every once in awhile, I will say to someone..."How's the balls of your feet?"

Maybe that's why some people swear that I'm a little on the nutty side. No I don't explain. I have too much fun watching their expression when they hear the question.

When's the last time someone asked you.."How's the balls of your feet?"

You see...other people don't give a damn...but me...I'm a caring person.

gsbatty...ellipsising and aposiopesising across the world of blogging like a nut hopping on hot cement.

Written for "Theme Thursday"...heat


14 comments:

  1. haha.....only laughing with...as i have been there man...and it hurts like hell...might have to ask people about the balls of their feet and see what i get...smiles...your making mine hurt at the thought....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Brian...be interested to hear how the experiment goes.

      Delete
  2. The tip of my feet usually cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the visit Leovi...so are my wife's which she typically sticks in the middle of my back at night...maybe you could...

      Delete
  3. I'm laughing, but know you are not alone! I had no shoes on, walked out to the sidewalk for less than a minute and started burning my feet! I'll leave the asking people about the balls of their feet to you though, I don't think I'll do that! I guess I'm not as caring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Robyn...enjoyed the comment and the visit.

      Delete
  4. Typical man refusing to ask for help. Someone would have gladly gotten you your flip flops or a towel and thought nothing of it.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2013/07/theme-thursday-heat.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True...true...true...but when a damsel in distress calls for flip flops every man within one mile will come out of the wood work and say how cute she is...i'm not into all the guys telling me how cute I am.

      Delete
  5. AnonymousJuly 19, 2013

    Poor Grizz! I sympathize with you because I would do the same thing and because I recently burnt myself. It isn't even the first time I burnt myself on egg drop soup. The first time I was in a restaurant at the buffet and I poured boiling (really) and oily soup onto my hand. I didn't want to drop the bowl and make a bigger mess or scream so I tried to grin and bare it and set the bowl down nicely. I managed, I ran to the bathroom and everything from my index finger all down the webbing up to the thumb was burnt, blistering and partially charred. I couldn't even wash the soup off easily so it kept on burning for a while. The 2nd time recently I made my own less oily version and again I spilled it on my hand (egg drop soup is a formidable opponent) this time it wasn't as bad because in the restaurant I tried to disguise my stupidity with more stupidity but at home I could just be stupid. My index finger took the bulk again with the ugly blisters. Presently my index finger looks like a 90 year old woman's finger, its swollen with horrific peeling, oddly brown and looks nothing at all like my other fingers. I may end up with one old finger for the rest of my life (well at least until I am 90 and it matches my other fingers). I hate burns they are awful! On your feet too I just can imagine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking that you join "egg drop soup" anonymous. I bet you could break that habit in less than two weeks. "I joined "Palm springs" anonymous and haven't been back since. However, I always have an extra pair of flip flops in my back pack.

      Delete
    2. AnonymousJuly 19, 2013

      lol you are so awesome

      Delete
    3. I don't think I want to ever eat egg drop soup after reading your story but then eggs are pretty dangerous for me too. Years ago I had heated up a hard boiled egg and did not know that you should cut it in half before biting into it. I bit into it and the steam burst hot and burnt my lips. I have heard that is one of the worst places to get burned because there is not really any protective skin on your lips and the burn was so bad that my lips burned like they for on fire for at least two weeks. Sucking on ice and taking pain pills was the only way to get relief. I would rather eat a cold egg than a hot egg since then. I truly feel for you and please be careful around the egg drop soup.

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. Oh you are so funny and since we only live about 40 miles west of Palm Springs then you know how hot it gets here. Most of the time we cannot even walk outside without a pair of shoes during the hot months. In August and September you know that it can get over 110 degrees here in the IE. I guess in this area we could ask people about the balls of their feet.

    But have you been to Baker on your way to LV and seen that big giant thermometer during a hot summer day and have it reach over 124 degrees or been to Needles when it is over 130 and your shoes melt on the cement or asphalt. Somehow we have learned to stay indoors during the heat of the day. Well except for hubby who sometimes has to work out in the heat. He hates it but has no choice.

    I just love your story and truly wonder why you would not have called out for someone to help. Anyone who goes to Palm Springs in the summer would have been willing to get you a pair of shoes, mostly because they have probably burnt their feet at some time. Yup, it happened to us when we were kids in Needles, with our shoes on. We were hopping like bunny rabbits.

    Thanks for sharing this great story with us for this weeks Theme Thursday, it was a great reminder of some hot things. Let's hope it cools down here in SoCal and the fire gets put out.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for dropping in Mrsupole...I know that if I yelled someone would have shown up but you about the "man thing" as Joyce so politely pointed out...we are what we are...sometimes that's "stupid"...
      I have been though Baker Many times when that thermometer topped a hundred...I hear they are taking it down...

      Delete