Monarch Butterflys vs Geoduck Clams



In my blog written for Sunday Scribblings I talked about making the Monarch Butterfly a mascot for a NFL football team. Naturally it was in jest. But I did get some interesting feedback.
If a team can be named the Ducks, and there is such a team - a good one, actually - there could well be "The Fighting Butterflies."!

Berowne is absolutely right and I have a fondness for the Anaheim Ducks as I live close to their facility and my daughter works there. No I don't get free tickets.

Old Egg touted the Mighty Fighting Monarchs as they conquered the ocean to get from the Americas to Australia. I hope he wasn't accusing us of an invasion.

The Write Girl informed me that there is an NBA team that is changing its name to the Pelicans so I googled that info and she is right (I didn't doubt her. I just had to know which one). The New Orleans Hornets will officially be the New Orleans Pelicans next season. I hope Pelicans can play better ball than the Hornets do.




But the best response I had was from Granny Smith. She informed me of a College with a mascot called a Geoduck.  The Evergreen State College Geoducks are located on the Puget Sound in the state of Washington.

A Geoduck (pronounced Gooeyduck) is not a duck at all but a clam and a clam like none that I have ever seen. They even have a fight song, proving that clams can fight back. So remember all you macho men who like to eat clams to boost your sexual ability...

FABLED for its power to turn ordinary mortals into sex gods, nothing beats the oyster as the prelude to a night of passion. And no, it's not all hype. High levels of a chemical that boosts libido have been found in clams, a close relative of the oyster, suggesting that their reputation is not undeserved.

...the Geoduck clam can fight back. So whatever else you may do while eating clams, DO NOT and I repeat DO Not drop one in your lap.

 Here is the school’s fight song, written in 1971:
 
Go, Geoducks go,
Through the mud and the sand,
let’s go.
Siphon high, squirt it out,
swivel all about,
let it all hang out.
Go, Geoducks go,
Stretch your necks when the tide
is low
Siphon high, squirt it out,
swivel all about,
let it all hang out.
 
Don't forget it's pronounced "Gooeyduck"

Now If I can only find a sports team called the "Pink Flamingos"
 
The fighting Pink Flamingos
go team go
 
 





1 comment:

  1. This post was a definite smile generator after a long Monday at work... I'll cheer for the Pink Flamingos any day! :-)

    ReplyDelete