tears in the rain

 
 
She was young
to young for me
they said
 
but she didn't think so
and who could question her big brown eyes
certainly not I
 
we walked the streets of Frisco
in the rain
holding hands and jumping puddles
 
we drank
a cup of hot chocolate
as she brushed her long brown hair
 
her Nubian breasts
dancing in the dim light
for me to share
 
and then a sip
of only a coke
from a champagne glass
 
 a touch
her nipples so firm
her body so warm
 
and then the kiss
a hug
and she held me so tight
 
a promise had been made
that we would not
make love on that night
 
we fell asleep
in each others arms
to wake to a promise that had not been broken

a morning breakfast
a shower
and then she wept
 
we walked the pathways of the park
in the rain
holding hands and jumping puddles
 
she boarded the train with tears in her eyes
a sharp pain entered my heart
were they tears for my gallantry
 
or was she crying because
I was not the man
she wanted me to be
 
                                                                                        gs batty/april 2012
                                                                                         learning about love
 
 
 


18 comments:

  1. How did I miss this one? So poignant! I too have stories like this stored away somewhere from long ago, chance encounters that will always leave us wondering what was, and what might have been. You write with such a tenderness and emotion, the tone was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josie
      you always say the things that make my head grow but I do appreciate your compliment.

      Delete
  2. Beautifully written and a touch sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. always appreciate a compliment from a writer as well read as you are.

      Delete
  3. That's what comes of being a gentleman, I'm afraid. Happened to me with what would have been the love of my life. Ah! Well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's interesting how some of our pasts are so similar

      Delete
  4. Could it be both..the switch between the carefree walk in Frisco to the weight of the world which in some form or another seems to follow us forever made this piece all the more powerful..j says stick to dogs..faithful..unconditional love..(with limits of course).. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and certainly that is what I have learned in my old age

      Delete
  5. a beautiful story... those puddles, holding it together...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully written, sad story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks F M appreciate your visit and the compliment.

      Delete
  7. I hope this is fiction or else you will be beating your head against the wall for years to come. I too yearn over those lost loves but they are not so valuable as the ones I found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, Mr. Egg, it is a true piece of my younger years...and looking back...no regrets.

      Delete
  8. Very poignant. Many of us have suffered these 'traumas', especially during our teenage years. But they are worth remembering, if only for the feeling of loss they evoke.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So tender, raw and heart-breaking, beautifully done

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is lovely and you are a real gentleman.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love the stanza...
    "hre Nubian breasts..."

    I wonder if anything was really learned?

    ReplyDelete