Dear Santa

Dear Santa

I feel rather foolish writing to you.  You see I am seventy-one years old.  About the time I turned eight I decided that you were a fat old fake.  I became to old to believe in Santa.  You were just some myth made up to fool stupid little kids.

Then I grew up and raised my kids and you took on a different meaning.  Yes, you were fake but I realised the joy that just the thought of you brought to little children and God knows that we need to create all the joy that we can.

In my Old Grizz years I have had the opportunity to represent you and play your part at different schools and not only did it bring joy to the hearts of kids, it bought joy to my heart.

Now, I am writing to apologize.  Now I know that you are real   You are the joy in millions of children's hearts.

What could more real than that?

written for Carry on Tuesday - Merry Christmas Keith

5 comments:

  1. I always wanted to meet Santa. Now I have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you believe in him too! A lovely piece. Seasons greetings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right you are! Berkeley Breathed has a picture book called "Red Ranger Came Calling." I read it with my middle school students every year. The main character's perception of Santa is much like your intial one. He calls him "Mr. Santa Phony Claus." He draws a different conclusion about the old man before the end of the story.

    Love your letter!
    ~Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent. Reminds me of the $ stages of Santa - 1. You believe in him, 2. You don't believe, become him! 3. You are him! 4. You look like him! :)
    Keep spreading the joy! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful letter. you've captured the spirit of Christmas just the way I feel it :)

    ReplyDelete